First Presbyterian Church is a church of nations from North and South America, the Caribbean and Africa forming a fellowship of believers. “As a redeemed fellowship, we are a part of the greater world Church. The Holy Spirit enables us to come together as a multicultural, multiracial, multinational and inter-generational community.”
Our Church was founded in 1896 as Manhattan Park Presbyterian Church and served as Church Home for German and Polish Immigrants in the then Village of Irvington. In 1948, it was renamed First Presbyterian Church. Currently, our church’s congregation is predominantly comprised of members of the African Diaspora and continues to serve the faith and service needs of the community. We are a new generation, carrying on a mission and ministry in the name of Jesus the Christ.
We are part of the Worldwide Mission of the Presbyterian Church U.S.A. We reach out within the bounds of the Presbytery of Newark and the Synod of the Northeast. Our mission dollars go a long way to show our connection to the world. Reaching out to the poor and needy and most importantly, sending forth the Gospel of Christ.